Once upon a winter's afternoon . . .

There's a part of my very northern soul that loves winter - however cold the wind and however bleak the trees and stone walls look with the snow blowing across them.  I still feel that lift of the heart - the excitement I felt as a child when the white flakes began to fall out of a steel-grey sky.   It was minus three degrees this afternoon, but I had to get out into it and walk up the river with the snow blowing on a wind that the Scots describe as lazy - because it goes straight through you rather than round!  There was snow cloud on the fells, so I couldn't see their summits from the river. The colours were all sepia, like old photographs.


There's been quite a lot of gale damage in the woods that line the river bank.  But my favourite oak tree is still standing - a very old tree with a trunk that would take several people to circle it with their arms.



 The next door neighbour hadn't been so fortunate, lying prostrate in the snow. One gale too many.



The wind chill was quite challenging and the temperature will go down to minus ten tonight if the forecast is right. I was very well wrapped up against the cold - more suitable for a Himalayan expedition than a walk up the river Eden. It felt very good to be outside after being cooped up inside with flu.  Now to curl up on the sofa with a good read.  Italo Calvino?  'If on a winter's night a traveller' . . .   One of my favourite books for comfort reading.  But I haven't read William Fiennes 'Snow Geese' yet though it's sitting on my Kindle.   And then there's a little voice inside nagging me about all the things I'm supposed to be writing myself. Choices!

Comments

  1. I like this nice reflection -- that cold we recall from the remotest parts of our childhood memories, yes! And your photos accompany the piece so well. I love that old oak tree -- beautiful. And the splash of bright colour at the end -- so nice, great photo of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like winter too - or at least I would if it didn't go on for so long. A couple of weeks of cold and dark, just so we appreciated the other seasons would be quite enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Savage beauty finely observed.For me best viewed through a window ir camera lens. I shrink in the cold and the datk I suppose that's why the white of the snow is such a relief. wx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts